Trade between China and Chile has witnessed remarkable growth in recent decades. In 2020, the bilateral trade volume reached a staggering $43.7 billion, a testament to the strength and potential of this partnership. China has become Chile’s largest trading partner, while Chile is China’s second-largest trading partner in South America.
Chile, rich in natural resources, primarily exports copper, fruits, seafood, wine, and wood products to China. Copper, in particular, plays a vital role in this trade, as Chile is the world’s largest copper producer, and China is the largest consumer. In 2020, copper accounted for nearly 30% of Chile’s total exports to China.
China exports a wide array of goods to Chile, including electronics, machinery, textiles, and consumer products. Chinese electronics, such as smartphones and televisions, have gained significant popularity among Chilean consumers due to their affordability and quality. Additionally, Chinese machinery and equipment have played a crucial role in Chile’s mining and agricultural sectors, contributing to the country’s economic development.
When it comes to cargo transportation from China to Chile, there are several shipping options available, including both sea and air freight.
Sea freight is a popular choice for cargo transportation between China and Chile due to its cost-effectiveness and ability to handle large volumes of goods. The main ports involved in this route are:
- Port of Shanghai (CNSHA), one of the busiest and largest ports in the world. It offers extensive connections to various destinations, including Chile.
- Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan (CNNGB), another major port in China. It has a well-developed infrastructure and provides efficient sea freight services to Chile.
- Port of Valparaíso (CLVAP), which is located on the central coast of Chile. It is the country’s main maritime gateway. It has excellent connectivity and handles a significant portion of the cargo arriving from China.
- Port of San Antonio (CLSAD), which is situated near Santiago, the capital of Chile. It is a crucial hub for international trade. It offers efficient cargo handling facilities and serves as a gateway for goods from China.
The estimated time for sea freight transportation from China to Chile ranges from 25 to 35 days, depending on the specific ports involved and the shipping route.
For time-sensitive shipments or smaller cargo volumes, air freight is the preferred option. The main airports involved in cargo transportation between China and Chile are:
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG), one of the busiest airports in China. It offers numerous flights to Santiago, the capital of Chile, making it an ideal choice for air freight transportation.
- Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK), which provides excellent connectivity to various destinations worldwide, including Chile.
- Santiago International Airport (SCL), which is situated in Santiago. It is Chile’s busiest airport and serves as the main hub for international air cargo. It has direct flights from major Chinese cities, facilitating efficient cargo transportation.
The estimated time for air freight transportation from China to Chile is around 3 to 5 days, depending on the specific airports involved and any potential layovers.
Shipping lines and Airlines
Several shipping lines and airlines operate between China and Chile, ensuring smooth cargo transportation. Some notable shipping lines include Maersk Line, COSCO Shipping, and Evergreen Line, which offer regular services connecting the ports of China and Chile. For air freight, airlines such as Air China Cargo, LATAM Cargo, and China Southern Cargo provide reliable transportation options.
It is crucial to consult a freight forwarder or shipping agent to ensure compliance with all the required documentation and procedures for shipping goods from China to Chile. Agora Freight can provide expert guidance and assistance throughout the shipping process, ensuring a smooth and efficient transportation experience.
For the instant online quotations from China to Chile use our free online calculator. You can see instantly from multiple shipping companies to compare prices and choose and book the most cost-effective option.