China and the UK had a significant trade relationship. The UK is one of the major trading partners of China within the European Union. The trade relationship involves the exchange of various goods and services, with both countries benefiting from this economic partnership.
Some key points about the export trade relations between China and the UK up to 2021 include:
Trade Volume: China and the UK had a substantial trade volume, with billions of dollars worth of goods and services exchanged annually.
Goods Trade: The trade mainly consisted of goods such as machinery, electronics, textiles, and various manufactured products.
China exported a wide range of products to the UK, including electronics, clothing, machinery, furniture, and consumer goods. On the other hand, The UK exported goods like machinery, vehicles, pharmaceutical products, chemicals, and various manufactured items to China.
There are different transportation methods between the two countries, and below are the following options.
Sea freight is cost-effective for larger shipments and bulk goods, and you can choose between Full Container Load (FCL) or Less than Container Load (LCL) based on shipment size. The transit time takes longer than other transportation services, so is suitable for non-urgent shipments.
The following are popular ports in China and the UK for sea freight:
- Port of Shanghai, China (CNSHA). Port of Shanghai is the busiest container port in the world and serves as a major hub for cargo transportation. It offers excellent connectivity to various ports in the UK.
- Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan, China, (CNNGB). Located in Zhejiang province, this port is the second-largest in China and provides efficient services for cargo transportation to the UK.
- Port of Felixstowe, UK (GBFXT). The Port of Felixstowe is the largest container port in the UK and offers excellent connectivity to major cities and industrial areas within the country.
- Port of Southampton, UK (GBSOU). Southampton is another major port in the UK, handling a significant volume of cargo from China. It provides convenient access to the Midlands and London.
Air freight is faster than ocean shipping and is suitable for time-sensitive or high-value goods. However, it can be more expensive compared to sea freight. The following airports are commonly used for cargo transportation from China to the UK:
- PVG — Shanghai Pudong International Airport, China. Located in Shanghai, this airport is one of the busiest in China and offers numerous flights to the UK.
- PEK — Beijing Capital International Airport, China. As the primary international airport serving Beijing, it provides several cargo flights to the UK.
- LHR — London Heathrow Airport, UK. Heathrow is the busiest airport in the UK and serves as a major hub for cargo transportation. It offers excellent connectivity to various destinations within the country.
- MAN — Manchester Airport, UK. Manchester Airport is another important cargo airport in the UK, handling a significant volume of goods from China.
Intermodal transportation involves combining multiple modes of transportation, such as using trucks, trains, and ships, to move cargo from the point of origin to the destination.
Express Courier Services:
Companies like DHL, FedEx, UPS, and others offer express courier services for small parcels and documents. These services are ideal for fast and reliable delivery, but can be more expensive for larger shipments.
The transportation time for each mode varies depending on factors such as distance, customs clearance, and mode-specific considerations. Generally, sea freight takes around 25-35 days, air freight takes 3-7 days cargo transportation from China to the UK. These timeframes are approximate and can vary based on specific circumstances and the chosen routes.
The choice of shipping method will depend on the type of goods being shipped, the transit time required, and the budget. To get an instant quotation for cargo shipping from China to the UK, use Agora Freight free calculator, which allows you to compare the pricing and place a booking online.